Chocolate Fudge Pie
Chocolate Fudge Pie
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 6 to 8
- 1¼ cups all-purpose or white pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen and cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate (maybe more)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1½ cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
For the pastry: Combine the flour and powdered sugar in a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 5-10 seconds. With the blades turning, gradually add the egg yolk and enough water until the dough is just beginning to come together and will adhere when pinched. Wrap the pastry in plastic and chill it for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the pastry to a floured pastry board or work surface. Press it into a round shape for easy rolling. Roll the pastry out into a circle large enough to fit an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom or a flan ring that has been placed on a baking sheet. Drape the pastry circle over a rolling pin and fit it into the pan. Roll the rolling pin over the tart pan or flan ring with moderate pressure to remove excess overlapping dough.
- Press the pastry with your fingers so that it adheres to the sides of the pan. If using a tart pan with straight edges, raise the edges of the pastry ¼ to ½ inch above the top of the pan by squeezing the dough from both sides with your index fingers.
- Preheat the oven to 375oF. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet. To prevent the pastry from rising, prick the crust all over with a fork. Bake the crust for 15-18 minutes or until the crust is crisp and dry inside and lightly browned. Remove from oven.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350F. In a small heavy saucepan combine the butter and chocolate. Cook over low heat stirring occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour, salt and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the melted chocolate and blend well.
- Pour into the pie shell and bake 40-45 minutes or until the center is just set and the center comes out barely clean when pierced with a skewer. Bring to room temperature and serve.
Advance Preparation: This may be made 1 day ahead, covered and kept at room temperature. It is best eaten the same day it is baked, however.